The Council Bluffs program booklet, published for the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition held in Omaha in 1898, included a page dedicated to D.J. Hutchinson & Co. which read, in part:
“They do a great general business, buying and selling city and farm property, renting, leasing and exchanging all classes of improved and unimproved property. They negotiate loans on all kinds of property, being able to do so on terms most favorable to the borrower. They are also prepared to handle estates for non-residents and others…”
The city directory listed the business as D.J. Hutchinson & Co. (D.J. and A.M. Hutchinson) at 617 Broadway.
Archibald Mann (A.M.) Hutchinson and David Judkins (D.J.) Hutchinson were brothers, born in Indiana – A. M. in 1849 and D.J. in 1852. Their father, David Hutchinson, M.D., was born in Scotland. Their mother, Mildred (Mary) Mann was born in Kentucky.
Mary Ellen (Ella) Short was born in Greenfield in 1852. Her father was Cyrus Short. Her mother was Mary Elizabeth Hartenbower. She married A.M. Hutchinson on October 24, 1872, in Greenfield.
The occupation of A.M. Hutchinson at that time is not known. The family moved frequently before settling in Council Bluffs. William and Mary Mildred were born and died in Winterset – William in 1874 and Mary in 1875. Edgar was born in Greenfield in 1876. Nellie was born in Kerwin, Kansas, in 1880 and died at age seven. Myra and Frances were also born in Kerwin – Myra in 1882 and Frances in 1884. (Their residence in 1885 was Bow Creek, Kansas). Emma and Archibald Judkins were born in Essex – Emma in 1886 and “Archie” in 1888. David was born in Council Bluffs in 1894 and died two years later.
In 1888. D.J. Hutchinson founded D.J. Hutchinson & Co. and was joined by his brother, A.M. Hutchinson. The business was located at 38 S. Main St. and later moved to 617 W. Broadway. The year the business was founded, A.M. Hutchinson was listed in the city directory as a milliner, and D.J. as “the proprietor of Bluff City Restaurant.”
D.J. lived at 1009 High Street in a house that was identical to his brother’s house at 550 Franklin Ave. (The address was changed from 550 to 551 in 1913).
Frances and Emma lived at home. Emma became a teacher. Frances was listed in a city directory as a “nurse, private family.” At times, other family members lived in the house at 551 Franklin Ave. After 1908, D.J. Hutchinson, widower, is listed in city directories at that address.
Myra was listed in a city directory as a bookkeeper in a retail auto store. Edgar was listed as a stenographer, worked in a cigar store and, later, at D.J. Hutchinson Co. He died in Colorado in 1968. A.M.’s son, Archibald Judkins, on applications for passports to and from Buenos Aires, gave his address as Buenos Aires, Argentina, and his occupation as repairman for International Harvester.
The two identical houses at 1009 High St. and 551 Franklin Ave. were built in the Queen Anne cross-gabled style circa 1888. Both have a two-story bay on the north side. The wrap-around porch on the house at 551 Franklin Ave. has been removed and replaced with a smaller porch and entrance. The wrap-around porch on the house at 1009 High St. remains intact.
In a remodeling project some years ago, owners found hand-written cards in envelopes behind a wall. Most were invitations to social events. One was an invitation to a birthday party for Johnny Lutz, who would be 5 years old. Another, dated 1886, was mailed from Essex. It was an invitation to come to Sunday school, signed by A.M. Hutchinson, superintendent.
A.M. Hutchison died in 1922. Ella died in 1924. They are buried in Walnut Hill Cemetery. Myra and Frances sold the house in 1962.
– Preserve Council Bluffs acknowledges the following sources of information: the Pottawattamie County auditor’s office; the reference department of the Council Bluffs Public Library; Council Bluffs Community Development Department; family members, homeowners, and individuals; and especially the documents relating to the nominations of the historic residential districts to the National Register of Historic Places.