Stebbins A. Teal was born in Albany, New York in 1831, the sixth of seven children of Andrew and Aurelia (Gray) Teal. He married Theda Marilla Fosha in 1852.
Stebbins and Theda had four children who were born as they moved across the country – Henry, born in New York in 1853; Florence, born in Illinois in 1855; Frederick, born in Elk City, Nebraska in 1860; Clara, also born in Elk City in 1862.
The Teal family lived in Elkhorn for a short time before moving to Council Bluffs. Stebbins Teal is listed in the 1869-70 Council Bluffs city directory as superintendent of the Council Bluffs Iron Works. The house did not have a specific address when it was built in 1867; there was a path leading up to it, but no road shows on the early maps. The description in the city directories places the Teal home in this location. The original part of the house has a kitchen, dining room, and a stairway leading to two bedrooms- one large and one small. The address became 130 Fairview Ave.; the house number was changed at a later date to 230 Fairview Ave.
The 1876 city directory lists the address as: n s Fairview, east of Bond (north side of Fairview, east of Bond (later changed to Third Street). Stebbins Teal was listed as machinist for the Chicago Northwestern Railroad. Clara and Florence lived here with Theda and Stebbins. Theda died in 1877.
In 1874, Florence married William Haverstock, a native of Massachusetts who came to western Iowa at age 21 and went to work for Smith & Harkness in their wholesale general merchandise store. In 1883, he formed a partnership with T.H. James in the grocery business, and they became very successful. According to his obituary, he was “involved in every movement of betterment of the city.” He served as treasurer of the school district for three terms and was a member of A.O.U.W., Masonic and W.O.W. lodges. The Haverstocks lived at this address, with the Teals.
The 1880 census shows Stebbins Teal, age 49, working as a machinist for the Chicago Northwestern Railroad and living at the Lockwood’s boarding house in Missouri Valley. He later worked as master mechanic for the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Line. His last years were spent in Waterloo, Nebraska, where he died in 1909. The Teals are buried in Fairview Cemetery.
William Haverstock died in 1902. In 1907, Florence married Dr. Newton Rice. She died a year later, in 1909, and is buried with William Haverstock in Fairview Cemetery.
The Haverstocks had two sons. Horace, the eldest, became a physician, practicing in Council Bluffs, Lincoln and Chicago. Charles worked as secretary for the Omaha Fire Department.
Clara Teal married August Beresheim in 1890. They had one daughter, Theda, and lived at 621 Third St.,, next door to her former home. Beresheim became president of Council Bluffs Savings Bank.
The original part of the house was built in 1867. The 1880s saw the addition of the front part of the house, built in the style of a Queen Anne cross-gabled cottage. The nomination of the Willow/Bluff/Third Street District to the National Register of Historic Places describes the large wrap-around veranda, significant landscaping to cope with the steep hillside location, the clapboard and shingle siding (fishscale, blunt end and diamond-shaped), a canted corner bay window, unusual rounded stairwell bay on the side, and the sunburst in the porch pediment.
The house with its vibrant colors sits on the hill behind the August Beresheim house, which will be featured next.
– Preserve Council Bluffs acknowledges the following sources of information for this series: National Register of Historic Places nominations, the reference department of the Council Bluffs Public Library, the auditor’s office of the Pottawattamie County courthouse, Council Bluffs Community Development Department, homeowners and, for this story, Kathleen Meldrum. Mary Lou McGinn can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.